Tuesday 27 May 2008

One of the Reasons / Una de les raons

June 13-14, I will be in Gélida for the Penedesfera meetings – a first opportunity for bloggers from the Penedès region to see each other face to face and exchange ideas and experiences. Since I will take part in one of the round table discussions, it is high time I started to think about why I have a blog.

The driving force for me to start Wirdheim in Vilanova was related to the expat community. I wanted to create a meeting point for my family and other foreigners living here and also offer support to newcomers in their integration. Over the time, my blogging has probably become more egocentric – nowadays I investigate and express my opinion about things which I am interested in also when they might be of limited interest to other people.

However, although I do not want my blog to serve as an immigration service or a tourist office, I think that there is a need to publish practical Vilanova information in English. Yesterday at 21.00, we urgently needed a pharmacy and thanks to up-dated information on the ajuntament’s web-site we found out which of them had the emergency service. Very easy, in fact, since nowadays we understand Catalan. Those who still do not, might prefer to follow the link from here.
- - -

Els dies 13 i 14 de juny participaré a una de les taules rodones de les jornades de la Penedesfera. Per preparar-me vaig rebre unes preguntes i una d'elles és perquè tinc un bloc. La meva resposta avui en dia ja no és tan clara – sovint escric sobre assumptes que m’interessen a mi, sense adaptar-me als meus lectors regulars – però al principi tenia uns objectius molt més idealistics: de crear un punt de trobada amb altres estrangers i alhora ajudar-les a persones nouvingudes a integrar-se a Vilanova.

En ningún cas vull que el bloc es vegi com una oficina de turisme però pot ser hauria de tornar un mica a la meva visió original. Ahir a les nou del vespre vam necessitar una farmàcia amb tota urgencia i com ja entenc la llengua era fàcil de trobar el llistat de farmàcies de torn a la pàgina d'Internet de l’ajuntament. Espero que l’oficina de normalització lingüística accepti que vaig fer-hi un enllaç del meu text en anglés. En situacions d’emergencia hi ha pocs estrangers que volen aprendre idiomes.

No comments: